Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions. We have answers.

Here are some of the most common questions we've received over the years. If you don't find an answer to your question, please don't hesitate to contact us.

What is the difference between limited and full tort?

The tort option is a significant coverage in auto insurance. Full tort allows an "unrestricted right of recovery" against the responsible party who injured you. The limited tort option has a premium savings; however, you significantly limit the legal protection for you and your family. "Out of pocket" expense (auto repairs, medical bills, loss of income) are always recoverable; however, other rights of recovery (right to sue for pain and suffering) are waived under the limited tort option without a "serious injury" (e.g., permanent disfigurement or disability).

What does underinsured motorist & uninsured motorist coverages mean?

Underinsured motorist coverage protects you in case of bodily injury when the responsible driver does not have enough insurance to pay for damages they cause. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you in case of bodily injury caused by persons carrying no liability insurance. In Pennsylvania, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage protects the insured for Bodily Injury only.

What is the difference between stacked & unstacked and uninsured & underinsured motorist coverages?

Unstacked coverages protect you with Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverage for stated limits on a per person/per accident basis. Stacked coverage significantly increases your uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages by "stacking coverage" for each vehicle insured under the policy. For example, if you elected stacked coverage with two insured vehicles, your $100,000/$300,000 coverage is increased to $200,000/$600,000 (2x).

What is the NAIC number and where do I find it on my insurance card?

Every insurance company licensed to conduct business in Pennsylvania has been issued a National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) number. This number appears on most, but not all insurance cards. If you are not sure where the code is on your insurance card, you should contact us for additional information.

What is the difference between comprehensive & collision coverage?

Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to an insured auto not caused by collision or upset. This includes, but is not limited to fire, theft, glass breakage, vandalism and contact with persons, animals, birds, or falling objects. Collision coverage pays for your repairs after collision with another vehicle or object as well as uninsured drivers or "hit & run". For both coverages, a deductible does apply. The lower the deductible, the higher the premium and the higher the deductible the lower the premium.

How much life insurance do I need?

Go to: Erie Life Insurance Calculator

What is the difference between term and permanent life insurance?

Permanent life insurance provides guaranteed life insurance protection for your entire life while term life insurance provides coverage for a limited time (i.e., 10, 20, 30 years). Unlike term, permanent life insurance builds cash value that can be used for emergencies or income via policy loan.

Do I need to contact my agent if I install a woodstove?

Yes, the agent is required to do a woodstove inspection to ensure that the woodstove meets the necessary safety guidelines for installation.